Review by Larcen Tyler

Reviewed: 08/29/00 | Updated: 07/16/01

Midway does it again!

When I went into my arcade and saw they had moved Brave Firefighters, I wondered what could be so big to replace that game. Then I saw this game called 'The Grid.' After popping in a few tokens, I can easily say that Midway has definitely created a game that will keep every type of gamer busy!

The texture mapping is smooth and very realistic, without any slowdown or polygonal breakup. Each character has his or her own unique features which means there's something for everyone. The weapons come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and there is a good deal of blood spilled, so watch out! There are even some humorous bits, such as when you lose, the M.C. will....well, I'll let you see for yourself!

Sounds: 10/10
Not only can you choose your nickname, but you can also choose a callsign to have the commentator call you by. To make it easier, the game finds a callsign which is as close as possible to the original name you put in. Or, you can choose a different nickname if you want. Rest assured, there are plenty of nicknames to choose from in this game! The weapons also have their unique sound effects as well.

Controls: 10/10
Using a trackball to turn, and a joystick to move, jump, and shoot can be a little strange at first, but with practice, it becomes second nature. It's a good thing, too, as with all the carnage going on during each round, you'll be glad to have full control over your character!

So it's not really much of a story, more like a synopsis. It's a futuristic game show where combatants are thrown into a virtual reality arena to rack up as many kills as they can. Some might say it takes a cue from Smash TV, namely considering the humorous bits and the one liners from the M.C.!

Replay: 10/10
As you move up each tower in single player mode (basically a set of challenges) you earn more cash and prizes, which can unlock new characters and other cool things. Plus, you can save your progress for another time, thanks to the PIN function with a special keypad on the cabinet. In addition, you can also keep track of how many wins and losses you have in multiplayer mode as well.

If you're in the mood for some bloodletting action, then I definitely suggest applying to be a contestant on The Grid! Trust me, the experience is definitely worth it, and the best part is you won't be humiliated in front of the rest of the world should you fail!