Review by LarzHunter

Reviewed: 09/14/11

Amazingly good game.

Similar to the recent re-release of The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64 is essentially the same game it was on the N64 but with a graphics overhaul. This could be viewed as a positive or negative. The positive is obvious; it was a great game on the N64. The negative; it's essentially the same game as the N64 with a graphics overhaul and a few different multi player game modes thrown in.

Speaking if the graphics, they're fantastic. The 3D is very well done and actually enhances the gameplay. Unlike Ocarina, I could play this in 3D for long periods without eye strain. Even with the 3D turned off it's still beautifully well done, with everything getting a fresh coat of paint.

The sound is great, although Slippy's voice will still annoy you even after all of these years (but in a good way). The music adds to the excitement of the game just as it did on the N64. As with many of these handheld games, a good set of headphones amplifies the experience over the system's built-in speakers.

The controls are spot-on depending upon the configuration. I found the "3DS gyro/on" controls a bit of a hassle and eventually switch back to "3DS controls/gyro off". The real issue was physically moving the system with keeping the 3D on. It wasn't fun. There is a fine line in many of these 3D games between a great experience and nausea-inducing misery. However, this is just my experience. Also, keep in mind that many of these controls may be adjusted through the pause menu during the game, so you have the opportunity to experiment.

The real challenge in Star Fox 64, and the key to replay value, is finding the alternate routes to Venom and Venom 2. The standard route can get you to the game's credits in an hour. The alternate routes take a lot longer, especially if you avoid reading about the secrets online. Some of the hidden levels are genuinely difficult to find otherwise, and often involve a specific set of tasks that must be completed in order to move to the next hidden level.

Overall, fantastic game. The only thing that would have made this a 10 for me would have been the addition of new content. However, if you haven't played the original, and you're into these kinds of space-shooters, I would highly recommend you pick up a copy. If you've been there and done that, I'd pick it up only if you were a serious fan of the original. You wont be disappointed.

Product Release: Star Fox 64 3D (US, 09/09/11)