Review by Pyrotempest

Reviewed: 09/12/11

Carpal Tunnel

To start this review, I want you to know that I LOVE the Starfox franchise and have beaten them all including the original Starfox 64, which I have been able to beat on Hard Mode without even losing a wing through the hard route. In saying this, I will continue with my review.

First off, unless you feel like playing the game completely awkward, Type 2 controls is the closest you will get to the original Starfox 64 controls with "B" being lasers, "Y" being bombs, "A" being brake, and "X" being boost. Now, if you try to combine shooting with boosting, you're in for a gimped and spasming hand from trying to reach around the 3DS to press the buttons on that awkward of an angle and added in the fact of mashing the laser button along with that, THEN add in trying to barrel roll. It ends up being a horrible mess causing your hands to cramp up EXTREMELY fast.

Now, as for gameplay, the graphics are beautiful, 10, the voice acting is no where NEAR the quality of the original (Which to be honest wasn't all that great to begin with) 4, and the control scheme and playablilty for more than 5 minutes, 2.

The game was a breeze though the aim reticule was no where near the hitbox size it showed unless you had hyper lasers, even then it still wasn't 100% accurate, in saying this, trying to do the final hard route StarWolf battle with only having a single laser, you might as well throw your 3DS out the window for how ridiculously you'd wish you were an octopus... With having to protect your incompetent team mates every 3 seconds along with saving your own fragile self, barrel rolling, firing your laser, U-Turning, Somersaulting, and steering all to avoid and try to counter is nearly impossible, add on the fact that if one of your team mates go down, that's one more bogey on your tail.

I find the game WAY to out there for what the controls were able to do for it. Now in saying this all, it might have just been how I played it with my control scheme, but for the way I did it, it was nearly impossible and I ended up rage quitting. I'll probably pick it up sometime down the road and beat it, but as for now, it goes back into the cabinet.

Rating:   2.0 - Poor

Product Release: Star Fox 64 3D (US, 09/09/11)