Review by chocolatecereal

Reviewed: 05/27/11

My first actual DOA game, and a good one at that.

My first actual DOA game, and a good one at that.

I have to say, I played Street Fighter IV 3D, and all of the Soulcalibur games, and this exceeds both. With the very fast fights, amazing moves and combos, scenery, and, well, female characters, I have to say that this is one of the best 3DS titles out so far.

My fascination began when I first turned my 3DS on, and I saw that the motion feature of my system let me take a first glimpse at the stages. I pressed start, and the action began right from the get-go. The 3D is absolutely amazing, and it's even move fun shooting your opponent into an electric fence.

From other DOA titles I've played once or twice with my friends, this involves the touch screen for newer players. The classic combo masters might want to stick with the buttons, while a newer player can tap a combination of attacks, and your Character will do that combo. For example, if you're locked in a fierce combo by your opponent, you can tap the hold icon to actually do a counter hold.

The fighting style is kind of like Street Fighter or Soulcalibur's, minus the crazy blasts and swords that most of us have grown fond of. You can set the button to a command, but the first orientation is X = punch, A = Kick, Y = Hold, and B = Throw. You can also use either the Circle Pad or the D-Pad for movement and combo setups (I recommend the Circle Pad), which I found nice. Not many release 3DS titles did that.

The sheer speed of the fight is unlike no other. In my book, an interactive environment is one of the best things a fighting game could have, kind of like the Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi series. If you knock(or throw) an opponent off the stage, instead of a "ring out," your foe takes some big damage, and you jump down to continue beating them to a pulp. You barely have time to get caught up in the setting of your fight, your character, and the 3D before someone starts trying to kill you.

Yes, there is a story mode, as well, called Chronicle Mode, with epic cut scenes and fights along the way. It also teaches you the secrets of battle in the game. There's Arcade mode, where you select a course of foes to fight. Then there's Survival, which explains itself, Free Play, where you create the match, and Training to hone your skills in fighting. You can even download a new challenger everyday to fight, along with more costumes for your fighters.

Along with the ethnic and disciplinary diversity of the characters, which include Ninjas, Pro Wrestlers, Bouncers, and more, you can also collect and pose a bunch of figures for 3D Photos in dioramas. Another nice touch, unlike Street Fighter IV 3D's unnecessary figurine system.

Overall, if you're looking for a fighting game, this is the best out there right now. It can't get more literally beautiful(see scantily clad female fighters) than this. I had a good time playing this, and I still can't wait for more. Great job, Tecmo!

Product Release: Dead or Alive: Dimensions (US, 05/24/11)