Review by Ilovepeasoup

Reviewed: 11/29/11

From the point of view of someone that didn't play any version of Street Fighter 4.

Not too long ago, I purchased a 3DS and this game. I really didn't know what to expect. It got favorable reviews and I know on the consoles, it will and has gone down as one of the greatest fighting games ever made. I wasn't expecting very much, but I was mistaken. This game untied my shoes, knocked my socks off, spun me around, flipped me upside down, and set me back down. I was absolutely blown out of seat.

Of course, I wouldn't expect you to take my word for it just from that, so I will explain it to you, in several different categories.

First off, character selection. Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition comes with every character in the console versions of Super Street Fighter IV. All 35 characters are present in this title. When I first played this game, I was already smiling when I saw this. I was afraid that in the port, some characters would be given the proverbial axe. This is not the case.

Moving forward, the music is a mixed bag. The styles vary from character to character, but it is predominantly Techno. That's ok, but I don't care for Techno music too much. Granted, the dynamic gameplay does a good job of letting it melt in the background to the point where I'm not bothered by it at all. My personal favorite theme, though has to be Akuma's theme. it is such an intense, big-impact theme. I love it so much. I think one of the bigger parts of a game is getting music that fits the mood of the game in question. In this regard, it's good.
Furthermore, the sound effects are excellent, as well. The voices the characters have are deep and impacting. Sagat's voice is my personal favorite. It doesn't stop at Sagat, though. Every character has a sound and a feel entirely unique to them. I love it.

Onto the gameplay. Words couldn't describe the look on my face when I first played this game. The graphics, in a phrase are freaking excellent. The movement of the characters is fluid and smooth. The finishing moves are dynamic and spectacular. I almost felt like I was playing a console game for a while. Absolutely outstanding.

Perhaps the most important part of this review is the 3D element and how it's incorporated into this title. Most of the time, I find myself playing with it off, but I play it with the 3D a little bit. Some of the finishers look night and day better with the 3D on, not to say that they don't look good with the 3D off, but I digress. There is another mode to this game called "3D Versus". In this mode, the camera is behind your character's head and the 3D looks way, way better this way.

Now, the reason this game doesn't get a 10 from me is very simple. Online. Now, don't think that the online community here is full of bad, rude or unfair players. The first few times I hopped online, I was facing Ryu and all my opponent did was spam hadoukens until the time ran out. It's very frustrating and quite frankly, drives me up the wall.

With everything in consideration, SSF43D is an excellent fighting game. As I said in the title, I did not play a version of this game at all before this. It is still a very fun and enjoyable game. I would recommend it to anybody that likes fighting games.

Product Release: Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (US, 03/27/11)