Review by Cecil_Del_Sol

Reviewed: 07/15/11

For someone who never played and was never interested in fighting games, I thoroughly enjoyed SSFIV3D.

I'll go ahead and start off by saying, prior to this game, I had never really played a fighting game, other than the arcade versions of Soul Calibur where I just randomly waggled the stick and pressed all the buttons. I don't even know why I bought this game with my 3DS, but I'm sure glad I did. I'm not sure what all to put here, as I don't know much of the history of the series, so I'll just get to the actual game.

Story - There isn't a whole lot of story in this game, I think most of the real story is told through comics. At the beginning and end of everyone's Arcade Mode, which is a series of random fights leading to a predetermined rival battle and final battle, you see an short clip of the character's story at this point in the Street Fighter timeline. The first one usually has to do with them preparing for the fighting tournament, the last one usually having to do with the end of it. I'm not sure how everything pieces together, or even if it does. It's still somewhat interesting to see the scenes, though.

Music - This game has some pretty cool music. Some of it is kinda weird, some of it is perfect and will no doubt go with the fight (read: Guile's Theme). After a while, though, you start to pay less attention to the music and more to the fight. Overall, the game has a pretty nice soundtrack.

Graphics - This is what surprised me when I first got the game. The game looks almost exactly like the PS3 and 360 versions of the game, aside from the backgrounds don't move like in the console versions. While it can be a little annoying, this is a problem that is easily gotten over. The 3D isn't very impressive in this game as it is in others, but it's a launch title, so I didn't expect it to.

Gameplay - Of course, here is where the game shines. With 35 playable characters, most of whom play entirely differently, you're bound to find someone you can play. And, unlike the console versions, you start out with most of everyone's costumes, instead of having to pay for packs, so you don't just have to play as the (usually boring) default costume. After choosing your character, you can do a Trial mode to get a look at what your character can do, as well as exercise the timing for moves, or you can head to Training to get a look at the damage, stun (a factor that, when it reaches a certain number, makes the opponent just stand there dizzy), range (the Training Mode stage has lines and blocks for use in measuring the distance of attacks), and scaling (a factor that decreases damage as a combo gets bigger) of moves and combos. Or you could take on the Arcade Mode or do Versus with the computer or friends. And I haven't even mentioned the biggest change to the game from the console versions: Lite Mode. Due to the 3DS not having secondary shoulder buttons, they decided to map things such as the all-punch and all-kick buttons to the touch screen (you can change these, if you wish). In Lite Mode, you can even map a character's Special moves (like Ryu's Hadoken) to the touch screen, in case you're having trouble with the timing. Of course, these are training wheels and are meant to only be used to help you float a bit more until you can swim in the world of Street Fighter, as weird as that metaphor is.

Though this has been a somewhat disjointed review, I hope I've gotten my point across. Super Street Fighter IV is a game for beginners, mostly, who want to get into the series but are intimidated by the console versions. This game can still be played seriously, if one wishes, but I prefer to play the games lightheartedly. At $40, I thought this game was reasonably priced, and I'd say I more than got my money's worth out of it.

Product Release: Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (US, 03/27/11)