Can I read game data from the micro-SD card?

1. Kind of silly, but I have a digital copy of Animal Crossing: New Leaf on my 3DS and I just realized I accidentally typed in my name as "Jenma" instead of "Jenna". Theoretically, if I had a micro-SD reader, could I open up the game file and correct this?

User Info: QueenJenna64

QueenJenna64 - 1 year ago

1. You can edit your save, but the problem is that everything the 3DS writes to the SD card is encrypted to that specific 3DS, to prevent save sharing and editing. You'd need the encryption key and a tol that can use it. The key is stored on the motherboard, where you can't easily access it. Save editors exist if you can fulfill the requirements. A stock console cannot do so.

As for the other answer, save data isn't copyrighted. It is a user-created document, so if anyone owns it, the user who created it does. That is like saying a Microsoft Word document is copyrighted by Microsoft, not by the author of the document, which would mean Microsoft owns the copyright on a huge number of books that various autors have written. That is simply not true.

PowerSaves can do this to saves stored on game cards, but the encryption blocks it for digital saves.

You need your encryption key and a program called ninfs to decrypt and encrypt saves for a stock system. Then save editors exist by people like Marc Robledo, and some gme communities have save editors ut there for games that they mod. I know Animal Crossing has a town editor. No idea if it can edit your player name.

User Info: bungiefan

bungiefan - 1 year ago 1   0

1. Since what your asking for would alter copyrighted code, providing guidance on this topic would violate the Terms of Use gamefaqs has laid out. A link to the Terms of Use can be found at the bottom of every gamefaqs page.

If you really do not like your name then just start a new game. Honestly though, Jenma isn't a bad name. Up to you in the end but you will not be able to find the answer your looking for on this particular topic here.

User Info: JohnathanHyde

JohnathanHyde (Expert) - 1 year ago 0   0