Why does everyone on Pokémon X and Y use the same few Pokémon?

1. These are the most common Pokémon I see people use:

Charizard, Blastoise, Pikachu, Snorlax, Mewtwo, Gardevoir, Lucario, Garchomp. Hydreigon, Greninja, Talonflame, Sylveon, Noivern, Xerneas, Yveltal.

Don't you people want variety? What happened to Aerodacyl, Porygon2, Togekiss, heck, even Krookodile? Why do you guys use the same 15 Pokémon? (Pikachu isn't even that good.)

Charizard and Talonflame are destroyed by Stealth Rock (so is Volcarona, but I rarely ever see it), Greninja is extremely frail, Snorlax performed better back in Gen III, Gardevoir is absolutely screwed if Scizor shows up (Even though I use Gardevoir on OrAs), Lucario and Garchomp are flat out overrated, Hydreigon gets walled by fairies, and if Xerneas has a Power Herb and Geomancy, it's automatic GG.

Bottom line, give other Pokémon some love, please!

User Info: spunky07216

spunky07216 - 1 year ago

1. A note: this would be better discussed on the message boards for the games. The Answers section is meant for help with the game itself, as opposed to discussions of this sort.

Though to add in my two cents to the question before I close this:

Regardless of how much someone wants variety, people likely also want to win. Losing sucks, everyone knows that, and the meta is too competitive to really make room for players that want variety.

The Pokemon meta is really poorly balanced - so poorly to the point that team archetypes have developed in some of the battle formats. (I bitterly remember the "CHALK" format for VGC 2015, I believe it was. Felt like 90+% of teams used that format.) That arises because some Pokemon are simply better than others - sure, obvious examples arise like evolutions being superior (usually) to their pre-evolved forms, but then there's a clear superiority in Talonflame over most of the other generic birds like Unfezant or Fearow or whatever.

You also have the issues of rulesets and such. VGC for example is so poorly balanced because of the whole "anything goes but (sometimes) legendaries" attitude. Makes sense as it mirrors the in-game battle facilities but then that doesn't really help the meta be varied - because, as I said, it's poorly balanced. I think in part that's why places like Smogon arose - sure, you can complain about their rules (as so many tend to), as you want, but the core ideas I think are something a lot of people can resonate with. Tiering Pokemon based on a mix of strategic viability and their usage does allow them to rein in the meta a little more. Sure, in higher tiers, you'll probably end up seeing a lot of the same stuff with a lot of common Pokemon - aside from the broken ones like Aegislash - but I think it's those lower tiers that really makes Smogon useful. Again, they probably fall victim to the whole "X is used more than Y or Z" thing, but by tiering the Pokemon off, a lot of underused Pokemon can get some love in competitive - without the whole "damn, they're so useless/weak" problem they'd suffer from in higher tiers.

So in short, I feel the problem with team homogeny rises from three things:

- Loose rulesets
    - Poor meta balance (partially with a blame on power creep)
    - Everyone's desire to win

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer (Expert) - 1 year ago 0   0