How exactly does the Destiny Knot work?

1. I've read that it passes down five total IVs from the parent that holds it. However I can't exactly make out what that stands for. Does that mean the IVs of the parent that holds it pools together? I'll give an example;

Ditto w/ perfect Atk, Def & Speed IVs holds the Destiny Knot.
    Outcomes:
    a) All three pool together and are given to the baby randomly (may end up with perfect sp.atk)
    b) IVs stay where they are and have a chance of passing down as what they are.

Sorry if I'm not being clear. If you don't understand the example can you just explain it?

All help appreciated.

User Info: toon_link_346

toon_link_346 - 7 years ago

1. When you breed, you have 3 possibilities for the IV of each stat for the baby. The first is that the child will have the mother's IV for that stat, the second is that it will have the father's, and the third is that it will randomly choose an IV for that stat. When breeding without the knot, three of the IVs will be inherited from the parents. So if you have a set of 6 IV parents, the child might inherit the HP and Def from the mother and the Sp. Atk from the father, resulting in a 31/x/31/31/x/x child. With the destiny knot, five are passed down instead of three. In the example, we might inherit the Sp. Def and Speed from the father as well, resulting in a 31/x/31/31/31/31 child.

They don't pool. If a stat is passed down, it goes to that same stat, i.e. if the mother's HP is passed down, the child's HP will match the mother's. It won't go to a different stat or be added to a total amount to be distributed between stats.

User Info: ghost_tails

ghost_tails (Expert) - 7 years ago 2   0