Review by ScytheXero

Reviewed: 09/26/16

Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse Review

It is a depressing world in Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse. What transpired in the previous title has now shifted, creating a sense of doom that players will start to feel right off the bat. This universe was left with a promise of hope in the previous title assuming you took the neutral path, and that there might be some light at the end of the tunnel. SMT games aren't known for their happy endings and just like the anger you can experience from their punishing difficulty you might want to grab a bottle of happy pills. It starts off a little vague. We have new characters coming into the fray that all seem to want to look up to the main protagonist from the first game while mixing in some Jesus innuendo. It dissolves within a short while but even while that it going it maintains that sense of survival from whats left of the human race and no matter what good comes out of what action there is always something that transpires that makes in feel like it was all in vein.

Combat has been revamped and in my opinion it is a lot better than SMTIV. What seemed like a game of hot potato to see whose turn could last the longest is now tuned to a more fair system. Light and Dark spells do not automatically kill unless you are at smirk, and if you can't guess the enemies weakness right at the start of a fight it won't give you a game over. It is still challenging game, but it's very fair in terms of combat this time around. What is more is that they give you the choice of difficulty any time you are playing. You can really tell with they wanted to try to appeal to every one with this feature and easier navigation options. Once you get used to every thing it is hard not to go out and grind. Fights are fun, frantic, and fast, and they can be done in so many ways depending what you spend skill points and app points on. A word of the wise if you decide to pick this game up is to invest in LUCK stats if recruiting demons is your thing.

Controls seem like they have been tweaked up as well. It is easier to turn around and cut an enemy with your sword when it's behind you. On screen texts come out clear for the most part, however, there will sometimes be an overlap of texts if a character has a long name and a level up status at the same time. A small but overlooked gripe. I did not notice and frame drops, tears, or glitches in my play through.

My only real issue I have with this game is that you revisit a lot of the same places in the prequel. With the story this throws at you I really did not have a problem with it. I was entertained and could not let go of my 2DS. The story is really engaging and I don't want to spoil anything for you readers but it really does make you feel for the people in this game. I can not recommend it enough. There is so much to do in terms of content. Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse is a perfect score.

Product Release: Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse (US, 09/20/16)