Review by Majestic_Lizard

Reviewed: 03/06/06

Best Samurai Shodown 1 released stateside.

Samurai Shodown was one of the best 3DO games and deceptively showed that the system had a promising future ahead of it (we all know this was not the case). Samurai Shodown, for those not familiar with it, was a fighting game (with weapons and blood) were you could choose from an assortment of characters and either fight the computer with the goal of beating the tournament or fight a friend in a 2 player match. Each character had an assortment of moves, strengths, and weaknesses. More games like this would have kept the system going.

Graphics & Sound- 10: I played the Genesis, Sega CD, and SNES versions of Samurai Shodown. The SNES version was utter garbage and the Sega version was okay, but missing the 'Earthquake' character. This game was the best home version of Samurai Shodown ever released in America. Due to the censoring of the American Neo Geo cartridge in which the blood and fatalities were removed, this is actually superior than the Neo Geo cartridge or Neo Geo CD release. The sound was a perfect reproduction of the arcade. I don't know what the guy is complaining about in an earlier review of this game. The sound is basically the same as the Neo Geo version. The scaling graphics were perfectly duplicated and Earthquake was included in this game.

Game-play / Control- 9: The control was precise, the controller to the 3DO was better suited to this game that Street Fighter 2, as the original only required 4 buttons. You can play the Amakusa using a special cheat.

Fun-factor / Replay Value- 9: This was the best version of Samurai Shodown money could buy. A Playstation version was not released for half a decade later and it only came out in Japan (Samurai Spirits collection). I actually bought a 3DO exclusively for the purpose of playing Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Samurai Shodown. Even though few titles were released for the system, these two games were nearly the same as the arcade games and far superior to the SNES and Genesis offerings. This game kept my friends and I happy for several years. For all extents and purposes I owned two arcade machines (Samurai Shodown and Street Fighter 2 Turbo).

Challenge / Replay Value- 10: WIth such a large variety of characters and different endings for each character, there was a lot to keep players coming back to this game. Being able to cut people in half is also a nice way to release tension after a hard day at work.

Over all- 9: This was the best version of Samurai Shodown 1 that was ever released stateside. For all extents and purposes I was the only guy with his own Samurai Shodown arcade machine around. Fun, fun, fun. Its amazing that the 3DO failed even with titles like this coming out for it. Those folks at Panasonic just didn't know what they were doing.